[Openswan Users] l2tpns and windows 7

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Thu Jan 6 16:10:15 EST 2011

I hope it is not bad netiquette to ask on this list about l2tpns, and I
apologize in advance if it is.  After many years of using it, the only
times it has ever proved to be a problem is when I misconfigured it.
But right now, I am seeing the extremely obvious downside - there is
almost nothing on the internet about fixing problems with this program.
I am hoping perhaps someone on this list is familiar with it that might
have come across what I am seeing now...

My current situation is working with XP, but fails with windows 7.  I
have at least three other boxes with the same configuration (excepting
IP addresses) where windows 7 is working.  This windows 7 machine fails
on at least one of them, plus the firewall I am working on now.  This
box has mcafee internet security installed on it, but I have disabled
all non-microsoft services and start up programs, so in theory that is
not interfering.  It is pretty much the only thing I can think of that
might be different about this machine and the other ones that work (the
other ones all run AVG internet security instead), but I dont' have one
that works with me, so I can't say for sure.  I have double checked my
installation notes, and I am certain I have configured this windows 7
machine the same as the other ones I have done before.

All of this is really bringing me to think the problem is on the windows
7 machine, not the openswan server.

The windows 7 machine claims error 809.  I have looked through the
oakley and RASMAN/PPP logs, but so far found nothing indicating a
problem, at least nothing claiming an error until the final failure.
The firewall says the IPSec SA is established, and l2tpns says there is
a duplicate sccrq and an out of sequence tunnel.

Last time this guy gave me a laptop to set up vpn, it was a mac, and I
that was around the 2.6.26 release or so when I found a bug that pretty
much made macs not work.  then I set up him up with ftp over ssl, hoping
to do better this time...

Any thoughts are appreciated...

Bob Miller
334-7117/660-5315