[Openswan Users] File transfer speed slowing down

alet at librelogiciel.com alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue Jan 4 19:31:50 EST 2011

Hi,

I've got a problem on a roadwarrior machine when doing file transfers,
not sure where the problem could come from, and not sure if the problem
happens elsewhere (not tried yet)

Both the roadwarrior and VPN gateway use openswan 2.6.28+dfsg-5 and
xl2tpd 1.2.7+dfsg-1 from Debian.

VPN gateway is a vmware virtual Debian machine running kernel
2.6.26-2-686

Roadwarrior is a physical machine with an Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU
3.20GHz

When connected (ipsec+l2tp) I transfer a big file either from or to the
roadwarrior from another machine, not connected to the VPN but which
uses the VPN gateway precisely as the gateway to connect to the
roadwarriors, and now the problem begins : the file transfer works but
is slower and slower and slower. On the roadwarrior side, xl2tpd eats
all CPU. On the VPN gateway side, xl2tpd eats almost no CPU.

Is this behavior to be expected wrt my hardware configuration ?

If not do you have any idea of from where the problem might come ?

Here's my xl2tpd.conf :

[global]
port = 1701
access control = no
rand source = dev

[lac MYVPN]
lns = xx.xx.xx.xx
pppoptfile = /etc/ppp/options.l2tpd.client
challenge = no
refuse chap = yes
require pap = yes
require authentication = no