[Openswan Users] How do I import an existing *.secrets file into anNSS database?

Greg Scott GregScott at Infrasupport.com
Thu Feb 10 11:56:10 EST 2011

This is making me nuts!  I studied the script Mike Warfield put together and I've gone over and over and over README.nss.  And I'm totally lost.  It looks like Mike's script manipulates PKI stuff.  And tinkering with the pk12util program that README.nss mentions, it looks like it wants a file formatted a certain way and  ipsec.secrets doesn't work.  So it's not like I can just issue some commands and import ipsec.secrets into an NSS database.  The process is evidently more complex.  Or non-existent.

In the pre NSS days, I could do this:

ipsec newhostkey with a bunch of parameters.  This would generate a clear text ASCII file with default name /etc/ipsec.secrets.  Since I'm using a Red Hat Fedora distro, I would append -output /etc/ipsec.d/ipsec.secrets and viola - I would have a file with what I needed in a directory that gets along with the Fedora distro.  Wonderful.  And portable - if a box breaks or to upgrade to a new version, I could quickly build up a new one, copy ipsec.secrets and other files where they belong, and get back up and running.

But now we have this NSS database and somehow, the world is different.  Quoting from README.nss:

Ø  Public key information in ipsec.secrets is stored in the same way as before.

Ø  However, all the fields of the Private key information contain just a similar

Ø  ID. This ID is called CKA ID, which is used to locate private keys inside NSS

Ø  database during the IKE negotiation.

OK - so this seems to mean that the new ipsec.secrets is different than the old ipsec.secrets.  The new ipsec.secrets has an ID that points to a private key inside an NSS database.  And the Fedora flavor of Openswan expects the NSS database to be in /etc/ipsec.d.  OK, I can live with that.

But I have an old ipsec.secrets file on an old Fedora box.  I don't have any certificates or certificate authorities or PKI infrastructure that I know of.  Just a bunch of ipsec.secrets files on each node.   Each node knows its own private key and the private key of its partner.  I want to replace this old box with a new box using the new version of ipsec and preserve the information in the old ipsec.secrets.

Understanding the risks of doing it this way with PSKs - if one box is compromised, the badguys have all the keys to the whole VPN infrastructure - there's gotta be some way to use the old ipsec.secrets to create a new ipsec.secrets and NSS database.  And near as I can tell, README.nss is completely silent on this.  Or else it's staring me in the face and I don't get it.

Thanks

-          Greg