[Openswan Users] OpenSwan and vServer

Christian Bäcker christian.baecker at gmx.eu
Tue Feb 8 03:32:10 EST 2011

Hi,

I have a problem with ipsec compiled as kernel modules and vServer.
When I start ipsec in my vServer I get following error messages.

vserver1:/# /etc/init.d/ipsec start
ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec 2.4.12...
ipsec_setup: ERROR: Failed to load or detect KLIPS and NETKEY
ipsec_setup: Broken 2.6 kernel without kallsyms, skipping calcgoo (Fedora rpm?)
ipsec_setup: FATAL: Module ipsec not found.
ipsec_setup: kernel appears to lack IPsec support (neither CONFIG_KLIPS or CONFIG_NET_KEY are set)

I checked that all modules, e.g. af_key, are loaded and also tried to give my vServer all possible (b,c,n)capabilities, without any success. I got the same result with the Debian Lenny vServer-kernel.
Because I could successfully establish a connection on my host system, I recompiled the kernel, now with ipsec included, not as modules. I suspect that NET_KEY would be sufficient. Now, ipsec starts successfully in my vServer too.

I did not found any usefull information or similar problem description. Did I had overseen something or is this a bug? Links welcome.

ipsec-tools: 0.7.3-12
openswan: 2.6.28+dfsg-5
util-vserver: 0.30.216~r2772-6
vserver: 2.3.0.35