[Openswan Users] Ipsec and NAT ?

Nicolas Ross rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Mon Feb 7 15:49:46 EST 2011

Hi all !

I curently have a net-to-net ipsec connection between our server room and
another remote site, also using openswan.

Our router curently has a public IP. And the config looks like :

conn tunnelcybos
        left=216.x.x.x
        leftsubnet=192.168.20.0/24
        leftnexthop=216.x.x.x
        leftid=@localhostname
        leftrsasigkey=...
        right=207.x.x.x
        rightsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
        rightnexthop=207.x.x.x
        rightid=@remotehostname
        rightrsasigkey=...
        auto=start

We will be remaking our setup completly redundant and will have 2 server
room in separate locations. Both server rooms will be linked up with a
private lan-extension that will be on a private subnet (192.168.120.x).

Our routers in both rooms will face the internet on that private subnet, so
our ISP's provided gateway will be in that subnet. Out ip net blocks will be
routed to our router at those private ips. I will have one ip in our routed
blocks that will be nated internally to the router itself via iptables.

I was woundering how to setup my connection in this new setup, since our
gateway won't be publicly routable. I can and will know the public ip part
of my facing router, so I beleive I should put that IP in the leftnexthop
part. So then do I put that nated ip in the left part ?