[Openswan Users] Trying to set up Openswan for the SonicWALL Network Security Appliance (NSA) 2400

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Aug 16 17:16:27 EDT 2011

On Tuesday 16 August 2011 15:06:03 László Monda wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> The company I work for uses the SonicWALL Crapwork... I mean Network
> Security Appliance (NSA) 2400 model, Product Code: 5805, Firmware
> Version: SonicOS Enhanced 5.8.0.1-31o, URL is
> http://www.sonicwall.com/us/products/NSA_2400.html

If you have access to the sonicwall, go through its configs again and pay
close attention to LANs and local & remote addresses. I think you overlooked a
couple parameters that aren't obvious (at least until you *see* them and cry,
"Doh!")

I helped a guy in Ohio set up a VPN between a smoothwall and a sonicwall. It
took some time to ferret out the right sonicwall settings, but once I got them
set right, the VPN comes right up. Smoothwall uses a fairly simple ipsec.conf,
but it only does site-to-site VPNs:

----------------
version 2

config setup