[Openswan Users] What is the difference between STATE_QUICK_I2 and STATE_QUICK_R2

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Aug 12 16:05:50 EDT 2011

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011, Mark Himsley wrote:

> Reading through log files, my guess is that the difference between
> STATE_QUICK_I2 and STATE_QUICK_R2 is whether "we" (the Openswan server
> I'm on) initiated the dialogue or whether we are responding to one.

Yes. These are state machine names. The "I" referers to initiator states, and "R"
means responder states. The number is the packet number sent in the exchange.

So STATE_QUICK_I2 is the second patcket on Quick Mode on the Initiator. Note
that a retry/retransmit would also be STATE_QUICK_I2.

When you see something like:

 	 STATE_MAIN_R1: sent MR1, expecting MI2

It means we are now in state MAIN_R1. W sent the Main Mode Response 1 packet. We
are expecintg the other end to send the Main mode Initiate second packet.