[Openswan Users] Problems with a forward slash in OU part of DN

Abhinav Bhagwat bhagwatav at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 01:03:54 EDT 2011

Some providers issue a certificate with a forward slash (/) in the OU part of the DN e.g. the DN for verisign's test certificate is

'C=as, ST=as, L=as, O=as, OU=as, OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.com/cps/testca (c)05, CN=www.as.com'

If this is specified as the rightid. Then we get the error that the peer name cannot be matched

sending encrypted notification INVALID_ID_INFORMATION to 10.100.109.149:500, transition from state STATE_MAIN_R1 to state STATE_MAIN_R2
no suitable connection for peer 'C=as, ST=as, L=as, O=as, OU=as, OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.com/cps/testca (c)05, CN=www.as.com'

rightid = "C=as, ST=as, L=as, O=as, OU=as, OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.com/cps/testca (c)05, CN=www.as.com"

How do I specify the rightid so that this works?