[Openswan Users] Trying to Get iPhone to Ubuntu VPN Working with OpenSwan

Dan dan24678 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 23 09:14:23 EDT 2011

Paul,

Thanks you very much for your prompt and helpful response.

I made the three changes you suggested and it is actually working now!  This is so gratifying after investing so much time in this to have finally gotten it working.

I do have a couple follow-up questions that I'm hoping you can help me with:

1) It takes 40 seconds to download a 3.1 MB mp3. Once I get around to setting up media streaming, I think this will be fast enough, but I'm wondering if there's any way to speed it up.  Should I raise the xl2tpd's MTU setting?  Or would that cause problems?  Maybe 3 MB per 40 seconds is as fast as AT&T 3G gets. I'm not too sure.

2) I have all along been experiencing the behavior in OpenSwan that I think is a documented bug:  When I disconnect my iPhone from the VPN, I need to restart it with /etc/init.d/ipsec restart before I'm able to reconnect.  Is there a known fix to this?  I actually have an idea on how I can set up a password-protected URL to remotely restart it, so in a pinch, I can get that working, but obviously a proper fix would be ideal.

Thanks again for your help.
-Dan