[Openswan Users] Openswan with NETKEY and monitoring data

Willie Gillespie wgillespie+openswan at es2eng.com
Fri Apr 8 18:36:17 EDT 2011

On 4/8/2011 9:22 AM, Mark Dalton wrote:
> I just need a pointer in the right direction, I am not sure why I needed
> to have:
>       leftsubnet=     0.0.0.0/0
>     versus
>       leftsubnet=     192.168.0.0/25

I know you're past this point now, but I thought I could explain the WHY
you were wondering about here.

> This is what I heard indirectly from the people with the
> right side Cisco VPN.
>
>   >  IPSEC FLOW: permit ip 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.128 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

On the Cisco-side, they basically set up:
	leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/25
	rightsubnet=0.0.0.0/0

With IPsec, both sides MUST match to work completely.  So when you had:
	leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/25
	rightsubnet=192.168.1.0/25

... it didn't match the Cisco config completely.  This is why it was
only working for you when you had:
	leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
	rightsubnet=192.168.1.0/25

(Note: left and right can be swapped, or left the same -- it doesn't
matter.  I usually do what you did, and have left = my local side)