[Openswan Users] Openswan with NETKEY and monitoring data

Mark Dalton mdalton at princeton.edu
Wed Apr 6 11:34:02 EDT 2011

We have a point to point connection between two sites.

I am not seeing the data to the destination host.

    192.168.1.0/25 -- Cisco VPN ---- (eth0)OpenSwan -- (eth2) virtual
IPs 192.168.0.0/25
       (internal)           (public IP)        (public)

I am probably just missing something obvious.   I would prefer
just seeing the traffic on the openswan box and direct the data
to the internet and back though and to the device.   But I would
be willing to redirect the traffic through another box to the internet
and track the data there.

I just want to see traffic from the remote VPN clients that are
passed through the tunnel to the OpenSwan box.

       tcpdump of ALL packets to each of the 192.168.1.* clients
       so I can see patterns in the data (which ports were used,
       how much data, and when).

        We just see 'src 192.168.', the other data we see is mostly
        ESP --> OpenSwan (public IP)

config setup
         interfaces=%defaultroute
         klipsdebug="none"
         plutodebug="none"
         # NAT the IP addresses (also tried no)
         nat_traversal=yes
         uniqueids = yes

virtual_private=%v4:10.0.0.0/8,%v4:192.168.1.0/24,%v4:172.16.0.0/12,%v4:!192.168.0.0/24
         oe=off
         # We don't have klips, and the klips build is failing
         protostack=netkey

conn tunnel
         type=                  tunnel
         authby=              secret