[Openswan Users] Openswan and strongSwan

Troy Telford ttelford.groups at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 19:23:40 EDT 2010

I'm not looking to start a flamewar... but what advantages does
Openswan have over strongSwan?

The feature comparison at:

http://wiki.Openswan.org/index.php/Openswan/FeatureComparison

Is awfully dated - it claims to be for Openswan 3 - but Openswan 3
appears to have been abandoned years ago, if the git repo is at all
accurate.

I know Openswan is starting to add IKEv2 support (though it's currently
incomplete); the comparison lists IKEv2 support as "No" for Openswan
3.x.

I know that Openswan supports KLIPS/MAST as well as NETKEY, and
strongSwan appears to only support NETKEY... but I have no idea if
there's anything that KLIPS/MAST can do that NETKEY can't ; I know
NETKEY can do IPv6 and KLIPS can't.

I know Openswan supports aggressive mode... which is recommended
against in the Openswan book, so it's not much of an advantage.

I'm not sure how strongSwan or Openswan's support of L2TP and NAT
differ; I'd imagine they are similar, but...

So how do these two siblings differ in their development priorities?

Also - is the wiki going to be fixed so people can register and edit
entries again?

Thanks.
--
Troy Telford