[Openswan Users] Cisco ASA incompatibility

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Sep 2 17:47:59 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Daren Hickman wrote:

> I have an Openswan connection running Openswan U2.4.13/K2.6.26-2-gx1 (netkey) to a Cisco ASA 5500 running version 8.3(2).  When the cisco initiates
> the connection everything works fine, when the opswan initiates the connection the cisco complains there are no acceptable phase 2 proposals and the
> tunnel won’t come up.  I believe this is a bug in the Cisco software.  I have two questions has anyone seen this before? And is there a work around
> for this problem?  See the openswan and cisco log entries below?

So check what parameters the cisco is giving openswan. openswan has a list of them it
allows. Then make sure using esp= and ike= settings that those are the only ones
that openswan sends as initiator.

> 30 2010 09:24:13: %ASA-5-713257: Phase 1 failure:  Mismatched attribute types for class Group Description:  Rcv'd: Group 5  Cfg'd: Group 2

Looks like you have a wrong pfgroup. Either configure the cisco to allow group 5 instead of group 2
or use an esp/ike line with modp1024 (for group 2)