[Openswan Users] xl2tpd uses inactive mast0 interface

Sven Schiwek ml-openswan at svenux.de
Fri Nov 26 03:56:23 EST 2010

Hi Paul,

sorry for the long delay it was a busy week :(

On 11/23/2010 9:34 AM, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2010, Sven Schiwek wrote:
>
>> thanks for the information.
>> If I remove the interface and initiate a xl2tp connection the ipsec
>> tunnel opens correct but then the kernel crashes and the system freezes.
>> I try to catch the panic next time - I'm working on a live system where
>> I can not reboot every time I want... :-)
>
> What version of klips is this? And what kernel?

Kernel: 2.6.32
Openswan: 2.6.32dr4
xl2tpd: 1.2.6

>> Let me present my network configuration with some more details:
>> I have a Linux system which is our default gateway to the internet and
>> which also act as a router to some other networks:
>>
>> - eth0 (192.168.50.1/23) - Office LAN
>> - eth1 (192.168.60.1/24) - VoIP LAN (irrelevant for us)
>> - eth2 (192.168.70.1/24) - Guest LAN (Full NAT to the internet)
>> - eth3 (1.2.3.4/29) - Internet
>>
>> Openswan is listening on eth3, xl2tpd is listening on all interfaces.
>>
>> If I try to establish a xl2tp connection out of the "Guest LAN" to
>> Openswan, the described problem occurs.
>> If I initiate a xl2tp session out of the internet the configuration is
>> working fine and the tunnel comes up.
>>
>> So I believe the problem is the internal routing between eth2 and eth3.
>
> So you do l2tp without ipsec on eth2? If openswan is not used, what is
> causing the crash? It cannot be klips then?

I'm using Openswan. I have tested Openswan + xl2tpd with Openswan
version 2.6.32dr5 and get a kernel oops - see attached. I have no serial
cable therefore I can not catch the kernel panic, sorry...

Cheers,
Sven