[Openswan Users] assistance with atypical configuration

Frank Temple ftfranklintemple at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 12:30:08 EST 2010

I am investigating how to configure the network detailed below. I am aware
that some manual scripting may be required. All of the hosts are using
openswan.

A--------B-------D
A--------C-------D

There are four hosts. The tunnels are detailed with the lines above. The
objective is to permit A to communicate with D through B or C. A needs to
route to D in the morning via B and in the afternoon via C. This is the part
where I assume some manual scripting may be required. I can do that part, I
just need to learn what needs to be done. The private IP for D should be the
same for A independent of the tunnel (B,C) selected.

I have been testing some configurations so far that do not accomplish every
aspect of my objective. The area where I need specific assistance most seems
to be in handling the overlapping subnets that I am creating to route
traffic to D. For instance, from A's perspective, both B and C have subnets
of 10.1.0.0/24 so that A can route to D (10.1.0.0.100) through either host.

When the switchover from one tunnel to another occurs, I need to ensure that
no data is lost and traffic continues uninterrupted.

I am happy to provide more detail if required.