[Openswan Users] IPv6 status

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Mar 9 19:20:39 EST 2010

Michael H. Warfield <mhw at WittsEnd.com> wrote:

>That could get even more confusing with Linux routers where they are not
>honoring the "default route" (::/0) if IPv6 forwarding is enabled.
>That's intended to block things like site locals and link local
>addresses and what not.  Routers invariable add a route 2000::/3 for the
>real default route which only routes the global unicast addresses.

This is interesting to know; thank you for the insight.

Here's a situation which I am likely to encounter later this year, when my
current router is superseded by a Linux router.

ppp0 will be the external interface, assigned a random IPv6 address by my ISP.

eth0 (or maybe br0 if I choose to bridge the Ethernet interfaces) will have a
static IPv6 address, taken from a /60 block assigned by the ISP.

The address at the other end of the PPP link may vary as well.

this is exactly the situation I am in at the moment, except that the router
isn't a Linux system just yet.

The question then is how to configure a tunnel via OpenSwan running on the
router.