[Openswan Users] Trying to get Openswan working Ubuntu to Cisco ASA 5510

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Tue Mar 9 14:39:45 EST 2010

Craig,

Thanks. Hadn't looked at "man ipsec.conf". Unfortunately, when I get rid of
the esp= and replace it with phase2= and phase2alg= lines as suggested, I
end up with:

# ipsec auto --up cisco
000 initiating all conns with alias='cisco'
021 no connection named "cisco"

This is bizarre, since the ipsec.conf file is so little changed - just those
few lines. It now looks like:

version 2.0

# basic configuration
config setup
     klipsdebug="none"
     plutodebug="all"
     uniqueids=yes
     protostack=netkey

conn cisco
     type=tunnel
     left=xx.xx.xx.114 #your IP
     leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
     leftnexthop=xx.xx.xx.97
     leftid=@<fqdn>
     right=yy.yy.yy.222 # IP address of Cisco ASA 5510
     rightsubnet=zz.zz.zz.192/26  # LAN behind Cisco
     rightid=yy.yy.yy.222
     keyingtries=0
     pfs=yes
     auto=add
     phase2=esp
     phase2alg=3DES-SHA1-modp1024
     ike=3DES-SHA1
     authby=secret

I am on 64bit Ubuntu as you are (although 8.04).

Regards,
Whit