[Openswan Users] Failover using two ISP

Aurimas Skirgaila a.skirgaila at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 05:16:00 EDT 2010

Hello,

my Openswan machines are almost 20 hops away each other, so internet
problems somewhere in the middle break my VPN.

at host A I have eth1 and eth2 for two ISP, so I want, that if tunnel A.eth1
<==> B would fail, the A.eth2 <==> B would come up.

I bet this is not an uniqe problem, so what is the standard way to
accomplish this kind of automatic failover?

currently my config is :

version 2.0 #  Openswan U2.6.26

# basic configuration
config setup
protostack=netkey
nat_traversal=no
virtual_private=
 oe=off

conn VNO1-OSL
#authby = secret
 left=19.*.*.202
leftnexthop=19.*.*.201
 leftsubnet=10.1.0.0/24
leftid=@vilnius.loc
 leftrsasigkey=0sAQOIg...

right=84.*.*.138
 rightsubnet=10.72.0.0/24
rightid=@oslo.loc
 rightrsasigkey=0sAQOoU...

#leftupdown=/tmp/tunnel1_down.sh #should I be using this??

dpddelay=6
dpdtimeout=14
dpdaction=hold

auto=add

conn VNO2-OSL
left=21.*.*.210 # Public Internet IP address of LTU
 leftnexthop=21.*.*..209 # ISP Gateway
 leftsubnet=10.1.0.0/24
leftid=@vilnius.loc
 leftrsasigkey=0sAQOIg...

right=84.*.*.138
 rightsubnet=10.72.0.0/24
rightid=@oslo.loc
 rightrsasigkey=0sAQOoU...

#leftupdown=/tmp/tunnel2_down.sh #should I be using this??
 dpddelay=6
dpdtimeout=14
 dpdaction=hold
 auto=add