[Openswan Users] Openswan 2.6.26 and IPv6 issues

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Jul 11 21:53:58 EDT 2010

I have noticed the following difficulties when using OpenSwan over IPv6.
If others can reproduce these or  identify the bugs (if any) more
precisely, this would be welcome.

1. On my Debian system, OpenSwan fails to bind to the IPv6 address
during the boot process. I reported this as a Debian bug. It turned out
not to be exclusively an OpenSwan problem, i.e., if I configured sshd to
bind to a particular IPv6 address, this would also fail.

However, it was suggested in the Debian discussion that OpenSwan should
really detect new IPv6 addresses on an interface after start-up and
respond appropriately.

2. This might not be an IPv6 issue: if I set ikev2=insist in the
configurations at both ends of a connection, the initiating host reaches
the I2 stage and then fails to receive a reply, resulting in
retransmissions that never lead to a completed negotiation.