[Openswan Users] Openswan information required

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Jan 18 10:57:41 EST 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, VoIP Expert wrote:

>  1. I want to install openswan on Linux server where customers connect to get services. For example customers
>     want to register their softphones (dialers) with the Linux server which has openswan installed. They can't
>     connect to port 5060 unless then use some VPN and Tunneling. Most of of customers are using Windows
>     machines and few of them can use Linux. Now my question is that are there built in openswan clients in
>     Windows and Linux?

Windows, linux and osx all have IPsec clients. The easiest interoperability method is to
use IPsec/L2TP. It is supported with Windows and Mac without additional software. On
Linux, you use openswan with xl2tpd as an IPsec/l2tp server (and the same software combo can
be used as a client)

>     I was studying (http://wiki.openswan.org/index.php/Openswan/Win2K) and it seems there
>     are some issues with windows built in IP sec support. It also seems that FreeS/WAN version 1.92 or later is
>     required to avoid an interoperation problem with Windows native IPsec?

That is very old (10 years) information. Ignore that. Use the latest openswan and xl2tpd versions.