[Openswan Users] L2TP packets being dropped at server

Will Roberts wpr2 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 26 00:12:36 EST 2010

Graeme,

Thanks for the pointers. Someone else suggested that I check my
firewall, and although I'd done it with 2.6.23 now I'm not certain that
I did with 2.6.24 and the git master build I'm running with at the
moment. With the firewall accepting UDP packets on port 1701 the L2TP
daemon does accept the connection, at which point things fail because I
haven't finished those configs :)

I had somewhat assumed that my firewall would be bypassed since the
traffic wouldn't be coming in through normal means. In case anyone else
makes the same assumption, I used the following two rules to allow all
IPsec traffic, and then drop all non-IPsec traffic to the L2TP daemon
since my firewall would accept unencrypted L2TP packets once the UDP
"connection" was established:

iptables -A INPUT -m policy --dir in --pol ipsec -j ACCEPT
iptables -A ironwall -i eth0 -p udp --dport 1701 -j DROP

Regards,
--Will