[Openswan Users] Ipsec configuration Lucent VPN Gateway with OpenSwan or others (Lucent IPSec Client 9.2.0 in Windows XP)

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Feb 20 13:18:59 EST 2010

Paul,

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 22:46 -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Oscar Barrios wrote:
>
> > conn Intranet
> >        ike=aes256-sha1-modp1024
> >        phase2alg=aes256-sha1
> >        aggrmode=no
> >        keyexchange=ike
> >        ikelifetime=24h
> >        auth=esp
> >        type=tunnel
> >        authby=secret
> >        left=192.168.2.100
> >        leftmodecfgclient=yes
> >        leftxauthclient=yes
> >        leftid="obarrios"
> >        right=62.xx.xx.xx
> >        rightmodecfgserver=yes
> >        rightxauthserver=yes
> >        modecfgpull=yes
> >        pfs=yes
> >        compress=yes
> >        auto=add

> Usually, xauth is used with aggressive mode.

> > 000 #2: "Intranet":500 STATE_MAIN_I1 (sent MI1, expecting MR1);
> > EVENT_RETRANSMIT in 11s; nodpd; idle; import:admin initiate

> Seeing that your first packet is rejected, your configuration likely
> does not match what the other end is expecting.

I'm having similar problems with a setup I'm trying to configure.  I'm
using Swan <-> Swan all over the place but now I'm in a circumstance
where I'm trying to set up a configuration to a Cisco 3000 series
concentrator and what I'm seeing seems to parallel a couple of requests
for help I've seen on this list.  They all have in common, aggressive
mode and a fully specified ike proposal.  That's just screaming to me
that they are talking to a Cisco, or Cisco clone, of some sort at the
other end.

I may be in a unique position though.  I HAVE got vpnc working to that
same concentrator, so I can do parallel traces of what works and what
doesn't.  The main problem with vpnc is that it will only support one
VPN up at a time, which is something some of us using that concentrator
as one of our VPN's require.

First and foremost, I see vpnc starting off with payload proposal
containing 24 transform proposals.  Right now OpenSWAN doesn't allow
this.  It complains about multiple proposals in aggressive mode and
refuses to do it.  Using a single proposal, I get a packet back saying
"Message type: NO-PROPOSAL-CHOSEN (14)" (that's in wireshark).  In the
vpnc case, it sends 24 proposals over and the response comes back with
1.  Even when I configure the Swan side to match the acceptable
proposal, I still get back "Message type: NO-PROPOSAL-CHOSEN (14)".

Another difference in the requests is the Identification Payload.  In
the working case, it's "ID Type: KEY_ID (11)" and "Protocol ID: UDP
(17)".  In the failing Swan case, it's "ID Type: FQDN (2)" and "Protocol
ID: Unused".  My group ID for the Cisco shows up under "Identification
data:" in the failing case and in the vpnc case it Wireshark just says
"Identification Data" without showing the data.  Maybe I'm just not
seeing it but I don't see how to get that key id set to anything other
than an IP address or FQDN.

So, AFAICT, there seem to be two problems for me to solve here.  One is
to give the server a block of acceptable proposals from which it will
select one.  Two, I need to get that Key ID correct.

Suggestions?  I can make some limited traces available to you and work
with you to drill into this deeper if this will help.  I don't think
dumping traces on the list would be helpful.  I think this could help a
lot of people if we could nail down what vpnc is doing and mimic it.

> Paul

Regards,
Mike