[Openswan Users] [strongSwan] ERROR: netlink response for Add SA esp.383251e8 at 10.19.156.242 included errno 93: Protocol not supported

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Dec 29 20:14:17 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 02:51 +0100, Martin Mokrejs wrote:
> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 00:40 +0100, Martin Mokrejs wrote:

> > The next obvious question is...  That bug is predicated on having IPv6
> > disabled.  Have you somehow disabled IPv6 for some reason?  If so, WHY?
> > The time for IPv4-only is now long past.  IANA is about to assign out
> > the last IPv4 blocks it has and we're done.  I just flat out don't
> > operate without IPv6 (and I have enough IPv6 only resources I depend on
> > that I couldn't even if I wanted to).  I probably will NOT be able to
> > help you if you are running with v6 disabled and have to for some
> > strange reason.  It's no longer a viable configuration in my
> > environment.

> /usr/share/doc/openswan-2.6.32/html/kernel.html

> <quote>
>                              IPv6
>                                      [optional] FreeS/WAN does not currently
>                                      support IPv6, though work on integrating
>                                      FreeS/WAN with the Linux IPv6 stack has
>                                      begun. Details.

>                                      It should be possible to use IPv4
>                                      FreeS/WAN on a machine which also does
>                                      IPv6. This combination is not yet well
>                                      tested. We would be quite interested in
>                                      hearing results from anyone expermenting
>                                      with it, via the mailing list.

>                                      We do not recommend using IPv6 on
>                                      production FreeS/WAN gateways until more
>                                      testing has been done.

FreeS/WAN is old.  FreeS/WAN is no more.  Openswan inherited that mantel
and StrongSwan forked off of Openswan back in the early days.  That is
from almost a decade ago.  That doco needs serious updating and is no
longer relevant and certainly no longer correct.