[Openswan Users] openswan based router?

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Dec 20 11:30:27 EST 2010

On Monday 20 December 2010 08:01:05 Bart De Gruyter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a router with an openswan implementation and firewall
> built into it.

> Is there an easier/better alternative to DD-WRT, knowing that I want to
> keep using openswan?

You could try Smoothwall Express (http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/).
It's still using OpenSwan 2.4.15 and Linux 2.6.16.60, but does run on newer
hardware (ICH7 chipset, for example), but not the newest.

Or you can try the development/testing version I ginned up
(http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=91) that greatly
modernizes most of the software in Smoothwall. Roadster (the testing version)
is running Linux 2.6.32 and OpenSwan 2.6.28 (or so). It runs great on a
6-port, 17W, Lanner FW-7530-A. Phaeton (the development version) is running
Linus 2.6.32 and will soon be running OpenSwan 2.6.32 (as soon as I
straighten out the mess I made of my local GIT repo). One of the guys testing
it says he's been hammering the four used ports at 2Gb/s (full duplex) for
months and the system uses less than 20W.