[Openswan Users] Openswan with L2TP/IPsec

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Sat Dec 18 15:49:29 EST 2010

Never having experimented with your scenario, I am likely way off base
here, but if your left and right are on the same subnet, I might expect
nothing to enter the tunnel.
My premise is thus; when a packet leaves the server/client destined to
the opposing end, it will consult the routing table.  The first thing it
will find is a route to subnets it is connected too, for example
192.168.0.0/24.  So if the opposing end is in that subnet, it will send
the packet out that route (ie, not the tunnel).  Any further routes in
the table to the opposing end will not be consulted, therefore the
packet will not enter the tunnel because by the time it would have found
the route, it is already gone.  If the route to the client is not found
on the subnet the interface is attached too, then it will proceed
further down the table till it finds the route that leads through the
tunnel.
If the two boxes are on different subnets, then this is a very bad
guess.  If they are on the same subnet, then this is just a thought on
what the problem might be...