[Openswan Users] 2.4.15 and kernel panic?

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Dec 16 21:47:09 EST 2010

Note the "?", please. This is more fodder for thought than a request for an
answer. And I'm probably grasping at straw....

Smoothwall Express 3 uses Linux 2.6.16.60 and Openswan 2.4.15. Once or twice
in my testing to reproduce someone's VPN problem, I noticed that the system
panic'ed and restarted while it was booting or shortly after.

Is there a possibility that 2.6.16.60 and OS 2.4.15 don't like receiving IPSEC
or setup packets while the system is booting? Or can't handle receiving setup
packets out of order? Or a problem with how Smoothwall builds Openswan and
the kernel module(s)? I don't believe this had been noted before 2.4.15.

As I said, stuff to ponder.