[Openswan Users] openbsd ipsec backdoor rumors

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Dec 14 22:11:40 EST 2010

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> their code and subject them to US export restrictions from Canada.  I
> HATE to say this but the collapse of the FreeS/WAN project and its
> evolution into the Openswan and StrongSWAN forks, along with the

Note that the openswan split was done after a meeting that included
John. We met up at CCC in 2003 and mutually decided to fork. He then
did 2 more "stability" releases that also removed some IETF code such
as AH and transport mode. All active developers/employees moved to
openswan, and a month or two later Andreas left to start strongswan.

> inclusion of the IPSec code into the Linux kernel with the relaxation of
> the EAR regulations, was a very welcome development to me.  They made
> great contributions but time moved on.

Yes, as a non-US citizen, the freeswan limitations were hampering me as well.

> You are correct, though.  The kerneli.org project was hosted in Europe
> and NOT subject to ITAR / EAR regulations or the restrictions of
> Canadian / US treaties,

Also, freeswan was published from the Netherlands. Complicating things even more.

But we welcome your patches, and will check them for FBI inteference :)