[Openswan Users] openbsd ipsec backdoor rumors

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Dec 14 20:40:08 EST 2010

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> According to John Gilmore's post years ago, it looks like FreeS/WAN 1.0
> was released back in April of 1999 which probably predated the BSD stack
> but it's unclear from Theo's post if he is saying the contributions were
> made in 2000-2001 or that their first release was.

Angelos, the person who started the freeswan work went to work on openbsd
ipsec work afterwards.

> In April 1999, we released version 1.00 of the software

Hugh Redelmeier also told me version 0.5 already worked pretty well (IKE+ESP)

Too bad xs4all didnt keep the old files. I guess I should find the old
releases and add them to http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/

> FreeS/WAN could not be incorporated into Linux due to export
> restrictions on the US based mirrors and servers.

It was the "no US citizens can touch this" that prevented integration into
linux (kerneli.org, hosted outside the US). FreeS/WAN was never made within
the US, so there was no export restriction issue (at least until Canada &
Holland signed the Wassenaar Agreement)