[Openswan Users] How to start ipsec at boot time

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Dec 13 16:58:13 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 16:49 +0100, Gary Long wrote:
> Ok, so it depends on the operating system. I'm running openSwan on
> Ubuntu but i'm not used to it.

Minor niggle...  Linux is the operating system (kernel).  Ubuntu is a
distribution.  Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, RedHat, Slackware, SUSE, etc -
these are all Linux.  Yes it depends on the OS (Linux vs BSD vs Solaris,
etc) but it's also distribution dependent.  I know it's confusing.

Someone already asked if you compiled it from source or installed it
from apt-get.  If you're not real experienced at this, please install
from apt-get and make life easier on yourself.  If there's something in
a newer release you require, you can always add it on later, but start
from the packaged install, initially.  If you have installed from
apt-get (or the GUI software manager front end to apt-get, Synaptic) you
can use the system administration tools for services to enable that
service to run at boot.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-controlling-access-to-linux-services.html