[Openswan Users] OpenSwan on ubuntu

Hammad raohammad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 14:03:46 EST 2010

Hi All,

ok, I upgraded my kernel and everything is resolved .. successfully started
service ipsec start but verification says that ipsec not supported by
kernel; here is the verify result...

root at vps:~# service ipsec start
ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec 2.6.31...
ipsec_setup: multiple ip addresses, using  127.0.0.1 on venet0
root at vps:~#
root at vps:~#
root at vps:~# ipsec verify
Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path                                 [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.6.31/K(no kernel code presently loaded)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [FAILED]
SAref kernel support                                            [N/A]
Checking that pluto is running                                  [OK]
Pluto listening for IKE on udp 500                              [FAILED]
Pluto listening for NAT-T on udp 4500                           [FAILED]
Checking for 'ip' command                                       [OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command                                 [OK]
Opportunistic Encryption Support                                [DISABLED]

Kindly help here.

Regards,
Hammad

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Hammad <raohammad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul/Bob
>
> This is strange for me too. depmod also gives me the same error witha
> mdoule missing;
>
> root at flexilogix:~# depmod -a
> WARNING: Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9: No such
> file or directory
> FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9/modules.dep.temp for
> writing: No such file or directory
>  and when I run ipsec verify; i get that my kernel is not ready to support
> IPSec even.
>
> root at flexilogix:~# ipsec verify
> Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
> Version check and ipsec on-path                                 [OK]
> Linux Openswan U2.6.31/K(no kernel code presently loaded)
> Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [FAILED]
> SAref kernel support                                            [N/A]
> Checking that pluto is running                                  [FAILED]
>   whack: Pluto is not running (no "/var/run/pluto/pluto.ctl")
> Checking for 'ip' command                                       [OK]
> Checking for 'iptables' command                                 [OK]
> Opportunistic Encryption Support                                [DISABLED]
>
> Regards,
> Hammad
> +923234559119
>

> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Paul Wouters <paul at xelerance.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Hammad wrote:
>>
>> 1- Fresh installation of ubuntu
>>> Linux flexilogix.com 2.6.18-028stab068.9 #1 SMP Tue Mar 30 17:22:31 MSD
>>> 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
>>>
>>> 2- Install utilities for openswan source compilation on ubuntu
>>> build-essential
>>> libgmp3-dev
>>> bison
>>> libgmp-ocaml-dev