[Openswan Users] Linux (debian lenny) client to Checkpoint Firewall NGx R65 using certificates - secureclient ok, openswan ko - PAYLOAD_MALFORMED - SOLVED!!!!

Luca Arzeni l.arzeni at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 09:43:11 EST 2010

Hi there,
since I've been struggling for few monts about this issue, and now I
was able to solve it, I think it's a good thing (TM) to spread the
word about the solution.

Client: Debian Linux Openswan U2.4.12/K , kernel 2.6.26-2, using klips
Server: Checkpoint Firewall NGx R65

The connection works flawlessy under windows with checkpoint secure
client using certificates (fw admin assigned me a p12 certificate); it
also worked under Red Hat 7.3 with an old kernel module released from
checkpoint.

Solution: the PAYLOAD_MALFORMED issue was caused by the nat-traversal option.
I had to
1) disable the nat traversal in my config, and
2) setup, on our firewall a couple of rules to pass traffico on port
500 and 4500 to the linux box where openswan runs.

A second issue comes from the server ID, which, for checkpoint, must
be the public IP (it refuses to send me the certificate signature), so
I needed to setup it with rightid.

The setup works also with netkey (tested), but I needed klips to set the mtu.

I also tested with openswan 2.6.25, 2.6.26, 2.6.28 under debian
squeeze (2.6.32) and, with few different settings, all thing worked
fine.

Thanks to all people that helped.

Regards, Luca