[Openswan Users] Decreasing perfomance on ftp / http download

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Apr 26 13:41:03 EDT 2010

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, dev at axepartner.com wrote:

> I installed openswan (Linux Openswan U2.4.12 ) on a Debian 5 distro (Kernel  2.6.30.7),
>
> the topology is :
>
> 192.168.10.0/24===94.xxx.xxx.xxx...xxx.xxx.xxx.66===10.0.41.0/24
>
> The tunnel is up : STATE_MAIN_I4 (ISAKMP SA established) + STATE_QUICK_R2 (IPsec SA
> established)
>
> ipsec status said :
>     IPsec running  - pluto pid: 5765
>     pluto pid 5765
>     1 tunnels up
>
> So, when I try to upload a file (6Mo) from the server (192.168.10.1) to the target
> (10.0.41.1), everything is o for the first 1Mo, but after, the transfert hang forever,
> same thing happend with a Http transfert of this file.

Nothing is tracking or couting bytes with openswan, so this is not related to that. Do
you see anything interesting in the logs?

It could be an ISP traffic shaper that just counts traffic and drops priority for
everything encrypted or unknown - though that would be unlikely.

Perhaps related to something completely different (one machine running out of RAM?)

> I tried to upload / dowload outside the VPN, it is ok, I tried to reduce the MTU, but it
> still stuck after 1 Mo tranfert...any idea ?

I'd check the log files.