[Openswan Users] Multi-net access to a service behind vpn

sertys at estates.bg sertys at estates.bg
Tue Apr 20 14:19:39 EDT 2010

>> Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:44:18 +0300 (EEST)
>
>> I think i have difficulties configuring the strongswan/openswan link as
>> want it and specifically routing the packets to go over that link. It
>> would be easy if ipsec tunnels did appear as virtual devices or at least
>> appeared in the kernel routing table.
>
> Note an ipsec tunnel is not a virtual ethernet device. you cannot just
> "route"
> into it, since the tunnel has policies for source/dest packets.
>
>> this is my connection definition:
>> conn commport1
>>    type=tunnel
>>    # Key exchange
>>    ike=aes256-sha1-modp1536
>>    # Data exchange
>>    esp=aes256-sha1
>>    authby=secret
>>    auto=start
>>    #auth=esp
>>    keyingtries=2
>>    #keyexchange=ike
>>    # Modeconfig setting
>>    #modecfgpull=yes
>>    pfs=no
>>    rekey=yes
>>    #salifetime=16h
>>    dpddelay=120
>>    dpdtimeout=140
>>    dpdaction=restart
>>    left=strong.ip                 # Local vitals
>>    leftsubnet=192.168.2.2/32      #
>>    leftid=%any
>
> You cannot use %any for an ID. Either leave out to default to the IP
> address
> or set it to something sane.
>
>>    leftnexthop=%defaultroute      # correct in many situations
>>    leftsourceip=192.168.2.2
>>    right=sec.ip                # Remote vitals
>>    rightsubnet=192.168.2.1/32       #
>>    rightid=%any        #
>
> Same here
>
>> But the syns just are not routed via the commport1 connection.
>> I guess i have to fiddle with the subnet and nexthop definitions, but
>> i'm
>> seeking help here to avoid misconfigurations.
>
> I'm not sure I understand your setup yet.
>
> Paul

I overcomplicated the explanation. Imagine it as a vpn router. Packets
come from client and are immediately put on the commport1 tunnel to the
appropriate endpoint. I enabled ipv4_forwarding, but there's something i'm
missing about packet handling. Maybe those policies are the key, but ikev1
supports only simple policies, so it should be pretty much
straightforward.