[Openswan Users] Tunnel established, but no traffic

Jonathan Carpenter jonathan.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 16:41:21 EDT 2010

I have configured ipsec to connect to my sonicwall at  a remote site. The
tunnel is established, but I can not connect to any servers, routers etc on
the other side of the tunnel.

Here is my ipsec.conf:
version 2
config setup
    interfaces=%defaultroute
    nat_traversal=yes
    nhelpers=0

conn sonicwall
    auth=esp
    authby=secret
    auto=add
    esp=aes128-sha1
    ike=aes128-sha1-modp1536
    keyexchange=ike
    keyingtries=1
    pfs=yes
    type=tunnel
    left=10.1.15.102                 : ip address of ipsec server
    leftsubnet=10.1.15.0/24      : subnet of ipsec server side
    leftnexthop=10.1.15.1         : Router ip of ipsec server side
    right=222.222.222.222         : Public WAN address of remote site with
sonicwall
    rightsubnet=172.16.2.0/24   : Private Subnet on remote site with
sonicwall

ipsec.secrets:

: PSK "MySharedKey"

sudo ipsec setup --status:

IPsec running  - pluto pid: 6806
pluto pid 6806
1 tunnels up
some eroutes exist

Why would I not be able to pass traffic if the tunnel is established?

Thanks,

Jonathan