[Openswan Users] Certain packets not traversing the VPN

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sat Apr 10 11:11:34 EDT 2010

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010, Mike A. Leonetti wrote:

> On a Linux<->Linux VPN all machines can talk to each other through ping,
> SSH, RDP, and those protocols work.  But port 445 is showed as
> "filtered" by nmap who also complains and says "Note: Host seems down.
> If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -PN".  What might
> specifically be blocking  this port on machines on either side of the VPN?
>
> On both iptables on the VPN all traffic from the source network is Accepted.

Nothing in the vpn does any of that. You'll have to look elsewhere.
The only possible issue is MTU. Do an ssh over the tunnel and type
something like 'ls -al /usr/bin'. It that hangs, you have an mtu issue. If
it works, you do not.

> Essentially the SMB shares aren't working.

It's been a long time since I was involved in windows shares. There used
to be a requirement for WINS everywhere when you wanted to do cross subnet
browsing, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.