[Openswan Users] Sending traffic to IPsec tunnel

António Fernandes af465 at netcabo.pt
Wed Sep 30 17:19:53 EDT 2009

Hi again

As i told in previous message, i am trying to establish a L2L ipsec tunnel between a linux firewall and a cisco firewall,
using nated ipsec with pre-shared key. After some study and testing i manage to establish the ipesec link between both
sites. The situation is the following:
a) I have looked with tcpdump to my public interface and the tunnel looks fine with regular keep-alive messages betten
the 2 sites.
b) I try to ping  a host on the BLan, but when tcpdump the external interface i still see regular icmp packets with no
tunneling!

My question is: Because that type of configuration doesn't create a thing like an ipsec0 device, how to assure the traffic is
directed to ipsec tunnel?

The configuration is the following:

   myLan                myFw           internet            BFw                   BLan
10.11.0.0/16 ---10.11.0.5/mypublicIP <<<<<<->>>>>> BpublicIP/??.??.??.?? --- 192.168.0.0/24

myFw - openswan 2.6.21 using setkey on mandriva linux kernel 2.6.29.1
BFw - cisco AXA

# /etc/openswan/ipsec.conf - Openswan IPsec configuration file
version 2.0     # conforms to second version of ipsec.conf specification
config setup
  nat_traversal=yes
  OE=off
  protostack=netkey