[Openswan Users] Setting up for IPSEC / L2TP VPN Server under Red Hat

Jeremy Wilson jeremy.wilson at polarmobile.com
Tue Sep 22 13:22:11 EDT 2009

Paul Wouters wrote:
> What version of openswan is this? You should not see those invalids.
> For l2tp you must use openswan 2.4.x, not 2.6.x.

I was using the RPM version 2.6.  I just downloaded 2.4.15 and compiled
it, but running it causes the routing table of the box to "disappear".
Once I log into the console and kill openswan, the routing table comes back.

Output of "ipsec verify" prior to running ipsec:

Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path                                 [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.4.15/K(no kernel code presently loaded)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [FAILED]
Testing against enforced SElinux mode                           [OK]
Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)               [DISABLED]
   ipsec showhostkey: no default key in "/etc/ipsec.secrets"
Checking that pluto is running                                  [FAILED]
   whack: Pluto is not running (no "/var/run/pluto/pluto.ctl")
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding            [FAILED]
   whack: Pluto is not running (no "/var/run/pluto/pluto.ctl")
Checking NAT and MASQUERADEing                                  [OK]
Checking for 'ip' command                                       [OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command                                 [OK]

This is under CentOS 5.3 running kernel 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5-x86_64.