[Openswan Users] Seeing the ipsec traffic in clear

Ricky Maiser rm at segfault.net
Tue Sep 15 04:56:35 EDT 2009

Hi,

Host A is my local system and Host B is the ipsec peer.

I've configured ipsec between these two hosts. It works great. It's
all encrypted if I sniff capture the network traffic with
a third computer.

Now something strange happens:

When I capture the network traffic on Host A's eth0 I can see the encrypted
ESP packets but also the cleartext packets send from Host B.

I do not see the cleartext packets send from Host A. I only
see the encrypted ESP packets from Host A.

I would like to capture the cleartext packets on Host A that
are send out before they are encrypted with ipsec.

What tricks can I use?

- Some ethertap/ipsec routing trick?
- Netlink hook?
- ipsec configuration?