[Openswan Users] no connection is known for...

sf at schooler.net sf at schooler.net
Fri Sep 11 20:11:43 EDT 2009

I've been working on this for weeks (including reading this userlist
archive), and just can't get it working. Any help?

I have a centos box at home that has a public IP connected to the Internet
(say 216.20.77.66). It is also the gateway for my private network (say
192.168.99.2). I have a Fedora 10 laptop that I'd like to be part of the
private network when I'm on the road, and I'd like the connection to home
to be encrypted - I don't even know if those are two separate setups. (I
might want to do the same with my Fedora 11 laptop, but that's down the
road).

Any advice would be really cool!

The furthest I got produced the following error in the "secure" log on the
centos box (I was using the local Library's network):

Sep 11 15:50:25 schooler pluto[14426]: "road"[1] 208.71.200.88 #1: cannot
respond to IPsec SA request because no connection is known for
192.168.99.0/24===216.20.77.66<216.20.77.66>[@centos.schooler.net,+S=C]...208.71.200.88[@asus.schooler.net,+S=C]===172.16.141.23/32

and on the screen on the Fedora laptop:

117 "road" #2: STATE_QUICK_I1: initiate
010 "road" #2: STATE_QUICK_I1: retransmission; will wait 20s for response
010 "road" #2: STATE_QUICK_I1: retransmission; will wait 40s for response
031 "road" #2: max number of retransmissions (2) reached STATE_QUICK_I1.
No acceptable response to our first Quick Mode message: perhaps peer likes
no proposal
000 "road" #2: starting keying attempt 2 of an unlimited number, but
releasing whack

Thanks!

Dave

/etc/ipsec.conf on the Fedora laptop: