[Openswan Users] securing data between two hosts for a specific port

Ryan Bohn ryan.bohn at tenzing.com
Tue Sep 1 14:53:31 EDT 2009

It's very simple to do in windows land.

Create new policy, set it to activate ipsec whenever you attempt to connect out to a specific port on any host (you can set any host, a specific one, a subnet, etc). Its just a few simply clicks to build that policy, set it to use aes and rsa auth and everything. And it does just that, it will attempt to use ipsec with whatever the remote host is, you don't need to define it. It will only kick in on demand for that connection on that port, it won't "initiate" it until the server is creating that connection out. MS never designed it with just vpn in minde, they designed it at a higher level, a broad way to secure communications. I could set my windows laptop to attempt to secure all my http outbound requests with ipsec, and if any web server supported the setup (eg, had a cert i trusted with a similar policy), it would do it.

I actually got this working with spdadd config in racoon, it only secured with ipsec when the box connected out with snmp, and stopped when it was done with that snmp connection. Racoon just has some bugs in it that prevented it from working with CRL, etc.

Apparelty openswan is limited in that it can only "respond" to incoming ipsec requests, or it will "start/initiate" a ipsec connection outbound to a specific host and keep that up constantly. So for the sake of clarification, is there an option to tell openswan to only attempt an ipsec connection when the box is attempting to connect out on a specific port to any remote host?

Its unfortunate the management software i'm using won't run on windows, because the ipsec implementation paradigm in openswan appears to be limited in scope to vpn scenarios, or at least heavily bent that way with little details of other ways to use ipsec.

Ryan Bohn
Corporate Systems Engineer

Summit with Tenzing