[Openswan Users] KLIPS crashes on kernel 2.6.25>

Giovani Moda giovani at mrinformatica.com.br
Wed Oct 28 11:15:45 EDT 2009

> I tend to run Linus kernels, beats me what could cause problems with
> Ubuntu and NAT-T, but again,  and oops may help

The last kernel I could compile and use KLIPS module was 2.6.24.7. The
kernel immediately after that was 2.6.25 and it crashed on
aes_32+0x3/0x496, as it did on 2.6.26, 2.6.28 and 2.6.30. So I guess the
changes made on 2.6.25 broke de encrypt/decrypt portion of KLIPS
somehow. A quick search for "crypto" in
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.25 shows a LOT of
changes on the crypto portion of the kernel, including a few that are
related to ipsec.

The crash occurs immediately after the tunnel is established. On Ubuntu
9.04 it crashes the kernel and leads the system to an unresponsive
state, while on fedora 9 and above it oopses the kernel and segfaults
pluto, but the system remains accessible.

How is KLIPS integrated into kernel's crypto API? Could some of the
changes that were made on 2.6.25 be causing those crashes?

It's really over my head to analyze what change is causing the crash,
but at least I can point you guys to where it started breaking.

Let me know if I can provide more info.

Hope it helps,

Giovani

signature database 4551 (20091028) __________