[Openswan Users] Problems with NAT'd Windows clients

Marc Fisher m4fisher at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 05:47:52 EDT 2009

hi,
thanks very much for the solution Paul! There is one catch though, while
it works fine on the xp machine it still fails on vista
Comparing /var/log/secure output of both clients gives these extra lines
when connecting
<------
received Vendor ID payload [RFC 3947] method set to=109
received Vendor ID payload [draft-ietf-ipsec-nat-t-ike-02_n] meth=106,
but already using method 109
------>
I think this is because Vista supports this RFC and XP doesn't.
Unfortunately I have no idea what is the difference between method 109
and 106 so it's hard to say whether this is relevant.

Also Vista client produces this line while XP doesn't
<---------
NAT-Traversal: received 2 NAT-OA. using first, ignoring others
--------->

The Vista client no longer sends ICMP port 1701 unreachable, but this is
negligible change. The new logs and barf are here:
http://ioudas.net/tcpdump2.txt
http://ioudas.net/barf2.txt
config remains the same:
http://ioudas.net/conf.txt

Is there anyone who got nat-t working with windows Vista? I would be
very  interested to hear from them and possibly see their config.

Thanks,
Peter