[Openswan Users] IPSec Host to Host over Internet Tunnel Configuration

Mozillaner mozillaner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 07:29:04 EDT 2009

Dear OpenSwan Users,

I'm trying for some time to establish an OpenSwan tunnel connection
between two hosts over the Internet, but unfortunately until now
without success.

This is a test setup for a university project and the configuration is
as follows:

# Host_1 # ------------ ######### PC with two NIC's ##########
----------- INTERNET -----------  # Host_2 #
192.168.1.3		192.168.1.2		130.83.239.102					130.83.239.101

The router function on the PC is activated. The secure tunnel
connection must be established between the Host_1 in a private network
and Host_2 on the Internet.

The ipsec.conf files are as follows:

#Host_1 ipsec.conf
conn Host_1_to_Host_2
      left=192.168.1.3
      leftnexthop=192.168.1.2
      right=130.83.239.101
      presharedkey=secret
      network=lan
      auto=start
      authmode=SHA1
      pfs=yes
      type=tunnel

#Host_2 ipsec.conf
conn Host_2_to_Host_1
      left=130.83.239.101
      right=192.168.1.3
      rightnexthop=130.83.239.102
      presharedkey=secret
      network=lan
      auto=start
      authmode=SHA1
      pfs=yes
      type=tunnel

If I try to ping the Host_2 from Host_1 I'll get always the message
"IP security is being negotiated". The ping from Host_2 to Host_1
fails with "Request timed out.".

Are the config files correct?

What is wrong in my configuration above?

Thanks,
Vladimir