[Openswan Users] GBit performance

Nick Howitt n1ck.h0w1tt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 08:26:24 EST 2009

Michael,

As a thought, you could look at something built round the Via Nano
processors (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/nano/) and some
of their older C7 processors. They support hardware encryption (these
are the "padlock" messages you see when starting ipsec). They claim AES
encryption at up to 25Gbps and SHA-1 and SHA-256 at up to 5Gbps.
Openswan supports this natively.

The only problem is that as fully featured server, the chips are
probably under powered.

I am not sure which motherboards use these processors.

Nick