[Openswan Users] Resolve hostnames to Windows DNS

Scott Selvia selvia_scott at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 26 10:37:24 EST 2009

I am trying to get host names resolved with a Windows DNS server from my linux openswan client.  I can ping ip addresses but when I type in myhost.mycompany or just myhost on the right side of the tunnel connection the host won't resolve.  What openswan ipsec config parameter do I need to set?

config setup
    # Debug-logging controls:  "none" for (almost) none, "all" for lots.
    # klipsdebug=none
    # plutodebug="control parsing"
    # For Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora, leave protostack=netkey
    protostack=netkey
    nat_traversal=yes
    virtual_private=
    oe=off
    # Enable this if you see "failed to find any available worker"
    nhelpers=0

#You may put your configuration (.conf) file in the "/etc/ipsec.d/" and uncomment this.
include /etc/ipsec.d/*.conf

conn mycompany
    authby=secret
    type=tunnel