[Openswan Users] OpenSwan and iPhone

Helmut Manck helmut.manck at eonas.de
Wed Nov 25 11:48:28 EST 2009

Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Helmut Manck wrote:
>
>>> Why not use L2TP? People are using that on their iphones to Openswan
>>> without
>>> problems.
>>>
>> The L2TP-support of the iPhone cannot use certificates to authenticate
>> the server side (just preshared key). Thus it is basically vulnerable to
>> man-in-the-middle attacks. The IPsec client _can_ use certificates to
>> authenticate. IPsec is better ;-)
>
> Fair enough.
>
>> Setting
>>    leftxauthserver=yes
>>    rightxauthclient=yes
>> doesn't change behaviour:
>>
>> Nov 25 09:49:03 server011 pluto[6470]: "vpngateway-intranet"[2]
>> <iphone-ip> #1: received MODECFG message when in state
>> STATE_MODE_CFG_R1, and we aren't xauth client
>
> There are also modeconfig option you can try and enable.
>    rightmodecfgclient=yes
>    leftmodecfgserver=yes
>    #modecfgpull=yes (dangerous on a server)
I had a try with this settings in first place, but doesn't help either.
Does anyone know how this cisco modecfg stuff works? Maybe it's worth
adding a few lines of code.

conn vpngateway-intranet
    left=%defaultroute
    leftsubnet=10.2.0.0/24
    leftrsasigkey=%cert
    leftcert="server011.office.eonas.de - TestCA"
    leftxauthserver=yes
    rightxauthclient=yes
    leftmodecfgserver=yes
    rightmodecfgclient=yes