[Openswan Users] Working with ISA Server 2006

Brandon Rock brandon at rockfam.org
Wed Nov 18 11:18:32 EST 2009

Hello,

A partner company is using ISA Server 2006. I have set up an IPSEC tunnel
between our sites. In order to do this, I had to establish three tunnels:

1. A tunnel between the public IP addresses
2. A tunnel between my private subnet and their public IP address
3. A tunnel between my public IP address and their private subnet

The tunnel is working fine most of the time. The problem is that when the
remote ISA Server is restarted, OpenSwan does not renegotiate the Phase 1
(IKE) key. Instead, it attempts to reuse the key it obtained before the
remote computer was restarted. Consequently, once the remote computer is
restarted, OpenSwan cannot bring the tunnel back online. I might note that
the ISA Server is able to reestablish its end of the tunnel.  My question
is, how can I get OpenSwan to bring its end of the tunnel back online when
the remote ISA Server is restarted? Assuming my static IP is 1.1.1.1 and
their static IP is 2.2.2.2, my VPN config is a follows:

config setup
    # just use defaults

# Add connections here.
conn isa