[Openswan Users] Error: cannot initiate connection without knowing peer IP address (kind=CK_TEMPLATE) when running "ipsec auto --up"

Mark Ryden markryde at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 14:13:04 EST 2009

Hello,

I am running openswan-2.6.21-2 on fc10. I am trying to configure it to use
L2TP. I prepared /etc/ipsec.conf according to the l2tp-psk.conf.in of
the program/examples of the openswan source tree (See below).
The external IP of the machine is 82.83.83.194, and the default gw is
82.83.83.200.

I ran /etc/init.d/ipsec start and it was ok.

But When running:

"ipsec auto --up L2TP-PSK-noNAT"

I got:
029 "L2TP-PSK-noNAT": cannot initiate connection without knowing peer
IP address (kind=CK_TEMPLATE)

Any ideas what is it ?

I also tried to follow this link in:
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/linux-l2tp.html
but could not find a soulution for this error.

Any ideas?
Bellow is my /etc/ipsec.conf:

conn L2TP-PSK-NAT
	rightsubnet=vhost:%priv
	also=L2TP-PSK-noNAT

conn L2TP-PSK-noNAT
	#
	# Configuration for one user with any type of IPsec/L2TP client
	# including the updated Windows 2000/XP (MS KB Q818043), but
	# excluding the non-updated Windows 2000/XP.
	#
	#
	# Use a Preshared Key. Disable Perfect Forward Secrecy.
	#
	# PreSharedSecret needs to be specified in /etc/ipsec.secrets as
	# YourIPAddress  %any: "sharedsecret"
	authby=secret
	pfs=no
	auto=add
	keyingtries=3
	# we cannot rekey for %any, let client rekey
	rekey=no
	type=transport
	#
	left=82.83.83.194
	leftnexthop=82.83.83.200
	# or you can use: left=YourIPAddress
	#
	# For updated Windows 2000/XP clients,
	# to support old clients as well, use leftprotoport=17/%any
	leftprotoport=17/1701
	#
	# The remote user.
	#
	right=%any
	# Using the magic port of "0" means "any one single port". This is
	# a work around required for Apple OSX clients that use a randomly
	# high port, but propose "0" instead of their port.
	rightprotoport=17/0

Regards,
Mark