[Openswan Users] protocol number 255

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Fri Nov 6 14:06:49 EST 2009

Hello,
I have a question that has been in the back of my mind for a while, and
I do not seem to find anything on google to satiate my curiosity.
A laptop that has been functioning as a road warrior was given to me a
while back after it had had AVG installed on it.  The AVG firewall
blocked the VPN from working, and the big show-stopper turned out to be
that protocol number 255 was blocked.  After it was opened, the VPN now
works fine.
I cannot find much on protocol number 255 on the web, except that it is
a reserved protocol.  I find an interesting post where protocol number
255 is indicative of a viral attack, but I can find no reason why
windows would be using it when trying to establish a VPN connection.
Is this normal behaviour?  Any comments on what that might be about?

Bob Miller
334-7117/633-3760
http://computerisms.ca
bob at computerisms.ca