[Openswan Users] ICMP redirect disabled but fails verify....

Sven J. van Rooij sven at digitalcarmel.net
Tue May 19 15:53:26 EDT 2009

My sysctl file says this....

# Do not accept source routing

net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route = 0

# Controls the System Request debugging functionality of the kernel

kernel.sysrq = 0

# Controls whether core dumps will append the PID to the core filename.

# Useful for debugging multi-threaded applications.

kernel.core_uses_pid = 1

#ICMP redirects disabling

net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects = 0

net.ipv4.conf.all.send_redirects = 0

My files in the according folders are also showing the value 0....

This is what my verify comes up with... should I be worried????

hecking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:

Version check and ipsec on-path                                   [OK]

Linux Openswan U2.4.9/K2.6.18-93.cc4 (netkey)

Checking for IPsec support in kernel                              [OK]

NETKEY detected, testing for disabled ICMP send_redirects
[FAILED]

  Please disable /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/send_redirects

  or NETKEY will cause the sending of bogus ICMP redirects!

NETKEY detected, testing for disabled ICMP accept_redirects
[FAILED]

  Please disable /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/accept_redirects

  or NETKEY will accept bogus ICMP redirects!

Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)
[DISABLED]

  ipsec showhostkey: no default key in "/etc/ipsec.secrets"

Checking that pluto is running                                    [OK]

Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding              [OK]

Checking NAT and MASQUERADEing

Checking for 'ip' command                                         [OK]

Checking for 'iptables' command                                   [OK]

Opportunistic Encryption Support
[DISABLED]

  Cannot execute command "which iptables": No such file or directory